A Roman Marble Statue of Apollo, Roman Imperial Period, ca. late second century CE
Object No: RS1301
Facing forward, the face is serene, the eyes recessed and lips pursed, with long upswept hair radiating from the crown, surmounted by a wreath of laurel, and bound at the back of the head, falling in a tapering plait over the nape of the neck and shoulders, a chlamys clasped at the right shoulder and falling over the left arm and back, and a quiver slung across the right shoulder.
Apollo, god of the arts, healing, truth, prophecy, archery, and light, was one of the most important deities in the Greco-Roman pantheon. The epitome of youth and beauty, he was almost always depicted as a beardless youth either naked or cloaked. He is easily identified with either a kithara or a lyre, a bronze tripod (signifying his oracle at Delphi), a deer, or a bow and quiver, and is occasionally portrayed riding a chariot pulled by lions or swans.
Dimensions: Height: 9 inches (22.5 cm), Mounted height: 13 inches (33 cm)
Condition: Incomplete from the waist down, overall expected ancient wear and minor chips to the body. On museum quality custom mount.
Provenance: Paul Ilton (1904-1958) private collection, then by descent to his son Arie Ilton. During his lifetime, Paul Ilton was internationally known as an archaeologist, lecturer, teacher, film consultant and author, personally excavating collection objects during his 25 years in the Holy Land.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.