A superb shipwrecked Roman Pottery Transport Amphora, ca. 1st - 2nd century CE
Object No: RP1302
This huge amphora was originally used to carry wine overseas. It was shipwrecked before arriving at its final destination and was eventually pulled from the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea. These transport amphoras, as they were known, were used extensively for the transport and storage of wine, olive oil, marine products, preserved fruits and other commodities throughout the ancient Mediterranean. While other amphorae are often highly decorated, transport amphorae are undecorated and unglazed, and were specifically designed for marine transport, each holding up to under half a ton. This example shares common features that enabled both pouring and efficient stacking in ships, it has two vertical double-thick handles; ovoid form with thick walls for strength; wide conical neck for easy pouring and a tapering base with a short peg that allowed the amphorae to be stacked safely one upon the other.
Background: This amphora can be classified as a “Dressel 2-4,” or a “Koan” Amphora, based upon Amphora Types According to Dressel. The Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology describes Koan amphorae as having appeared towards the end of the first century B.C. Further, these amphorae were copies of the Greek prototypes from the island of Cos in the Aegean. The evident change in this amphora form was probably due to changes in drinking habits. According to Plinius, these were medicinal wines mixed with seawater, and therefore many Italians did not prefer the wine from that area. The Dressel 2-4 (Koan) amphorae were also manufactured outside Italy and Catalonia at Velax. A discerning trait of this type is the double-shafted handle on either side.
Dimensions: Height: 39" (99 cm) with custom stand 46" (117 cm).
Condition: Thick marine encrustation to one side from long-term underwater exposure, while the underside was most likely submerged in sand and therefore protected, amphora is intact and in excellent condition overall. A huge and superb example.
Provenance: Private Virginia collection, recovered in the Mediterranean from a dive boat in the early 1960's, and then by descent.
Please note: given the size of this vessel there will be a small surcharge shipping cost. Please contact us for a quote before purchase.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.