of rounded form, with incised double concentric circles and pierced in the center for attachment.
Byzantine period buttons of ivory, bone or steatite exhibit a variety of decoration and were turned on the lathe. A study of the shapes has revealed no development within the three centuries (X-XII). Some of the bone buttons were dyed red or pink shades. For buttons see: Davidson G.R. Corinth, vol XII, The Minor Objects. Princeton, 1952, p.297-304;
Condition: Intact, overall in good condition with minor losses as shown that do not detract. With catalogue tag on back.
Dimensions: Diameter: 2.5cm (1 inch)
Provenance: Originally part of the Drexel collection donated to the Minneapolis Institute of Art in the 1920's, deaccessioned in 1958 and thereafter in the George Ollinger private collection, Pennsylvania, thereafter in a private Pennsylvania collection, acquired from the Ollinger estate in the late 1990's.