A Roman Amethyst and Carnelian Bead Necklace, ca. 1st - 2nd century CE
Object No: RJ2014
Carnelian beads were immensely popular throughout Greco-Roman antiquity, for it was believed that carnelian was endowed with magical powers; causing the blood to circulate smoothly throughout the body, make the skin healthy and youthful and ward off evil. Once considered strictly the property of the noble class, Romans of high social status were often buried with this gemstone. Since wearing carnelian also makes one feel peaceful and slow to anger, it was often worn by orators to achieve serenity before and during speeches. It is theorized that the color orange is the harmonious balance of passionate, creative red and bright, cheerful yellow, making it particularly soothing to wear.
The ancients ascribed many wonderful and therapeutic properties to amethyst: it cleansed the body of impurities, kept the mind clear and improved memory, and ensured the wearer was immune from infection and contagious diseases. The name of this exquisite purple quartz crystal comes from the Greek word "amethystos" which literally translates as “remedy against drunkenness”. The Greeks and Romans believed this stone would keep the wearer sober no matter how much wine was consumed. While we can't guarantee to wear this necklace will keep you sober, with the combined amethyst and carnelian, there's always a chance it might make you a happy, alert drunk!
Condition: Each bead is a little irregular, as is to be expected from the hand-polishing process used in their fabrication. There is expected signs of wear to a small few of the beads with minor chips that is not excessive and does not detract. Overall the beads are intact and in very good condition. The necklace has been restrung for wearing with a modern gold closure.
Dimensions: Overall length: 19.5 inches (49.5 cm)
Provenance: Private Californian collection, acquired in the mid-1960s and then by descent to present owner.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.