Comprising five sets of two rows of twisted gold wire chain coiled into interlocking loops at each end andinterspersed with seven hexagonal emerald beads, each set of chains combine to join a single pearl, terminating in an openwork hook-and-loop closure, ornamented with filigree.
Condition: Intact and in excellent condition overall.
Dimensions: Length: 37.47cm (14.75 inches)
Provenance: Acquired in Egypt by Goddard Du Bois (b. 1869 – d. 1925) and Josephine Cook Du Bois (b. 1864 – d. 1961), New York between 1900 and 1907, exhibited Metropolitan Museum of Art (1920-1948), museum number: S.L.803.100 inscribed in red ink on back of pendant. Goddard & Josephine Dubois, husband & wife team, took frequent excursions throughout Egypt between 1900-07. They became experts at assessing ancient Egyptian art. They would routinely take their acquisitions to Egyptologist experts of the day for their added approval ( Josephine’s handwritten letters while in Egypt referring to meeting Barsanti). Josephine was particularly proud of her collection of necklaces which were loaned & exhibited at Metropolitan Museum New York in 1920 to open their Egyptian Jewel Gallery.