Clear, light blue-green glass, with wide, slightly concave base and low spreading conical body that is about one-sixth of total height, a tall narrow tubular neck that expands to a flared rim that is folded over on top and flattened. Blue and lilac iridescence.
For related examples see: Kunina N. Ancient Glass in the Hermitage Collection. ARS Publishers, LTD, St. Petersburg, 1997, cat. 371; Hayes J. W. Roman and Pre-Roman Glass in the Royal Ontario Museum. Toronto, 1975, cat. 259; Matheson S. B. Ancient Glass in the Yale University Art Gallery. Yale University Art Gallery, 1980, cat. 156.
Dimensions:Height: 7 inches (7.7 cm)
Condition:A hairline crack to the base and with bright areas of iridescence to the interior, and scattered mineral accretions throughout, otherwise the vessel is intact and in very good condition overall.
Provenance:The William R. Crawford collection of Ancient Glass and Antiquities, acquired from the European trade in the 1950's and then by descent. William R. Crawford, a retired American career diplomat and expert on the Middle East and Cyprus, was Director of Arab-Israeli Affairs at the State Department between 1959-1964, and Deputy Chief of Mission in Cyprus thereafter. In the 1970's, he was ambassador to Yemen and then to Cyprus and later became principal deputy assistant secretary of state for Near East and South Asian affairs. He donated part of his collection to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts prior to his death in 2002.