A Roman Green Glass Sprinkler Bottle, 4th Century CE
Object No: RG1622
This graceful bottle is a wonderful example of Roman glass. The transparent glass itself is a pale aqua hue with scattered areas of light iridescence in soft green, blue, and pink hues. The body of the glass is globular; the neck straight and slender. Internally, the base of the neck is somewhat constricted enabling the flow of precious liquid to be controlled or "sprinkled" when poured. Six cinnabar red trails are preserved on the neck, drawn from a point of application at the top, and continuing as a lighter relief thread over the aqua surface to end at the base of the neck with thickened finishing drop. Handling and rotating the vessel helps the viewer to observe the particularities of the technique. The irregular space between the individual red lines affirms this glasswork is uniquely handmade.
Reference: Hayes J. W. (1975) Roman and Pre-Roman Glass in the Royal Ontario Museum. Toronto, Susan H. Auth (1976) "Ancient Glass at the Newark Museum from the Eugene Schaefer collection"
Dimensions: Height: 5-1/4 inches (13.33 cm)
Condition: This bottle features minor weathering and mineral accretions and like many glass vessels of this type, the glass is naturally translucent and there is scattered pale iridescence particularly to the body. Aside for some minor losses to the threading on the neck, it is intact and in very good condition overall with no cracks or breaks.
Provenance: The William R. Crawford collection of Ancient Glass and Antiquities, acquired in Cyprus prior to 1972. This piece is accompanied by an export license from Cyprus. William R. Crawford, a retired American career diplomat and expert on the Middle East and Cyprus, was Director of Arab-Israeli Affairs at the State Department between 1959-1964, and Deputy Chief of Mission in Cyprus thereafter. In the 1970's, he was ambassador to Yemen and then to Cyprus and later became principal deputy assistant secretary of state for Near East and South Asian affairs. He donated part of his collection to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts prior to his death in 2002.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.