A large part of the ancient glasswork repertoire was designed for table use, in particular for carrying and serving water and wine at banquets. Jugs, one of the most frequently used containers, existed in various dimensions (the smaller examples would contain condiments, the largest ones beverages) and shapes: a spherical or more elongated body, a flat or higher, molded base, a trefoil-shaped or circular and elaborate mouth. This elegant example, blown from pale green glass, adopts an almost tear-drop form and the indented neck ensures the pouring of liquids from the flared lip could be controlled. The single handle was applied as a trail of molten glass, the tail then carefully incised to form decorative ribbing using a metal tool.
Dimensions:Height: 5-1/4 inches (13.33 cm)
Condition:The exterior is heavily weathered with scattered iridescence and mineral accretion throughout, it is intact and in very good condition overall with no chips, cracks or breaks.
Provenance:The William R. Crawford collection of Ancient Glass and Antiquities, acquired from the European trade in the 1950's and then by descent. William R. Crawford, a retired American career diplomat and expert on the Middle East and Cyprus, was Director of Arab-Israeli Affairs at the State Department between 1959-1964, and Deputy Chief of Mission in Cyprus thereafter. In the 1970's, he was ambassador to Yemen and then to Cyprus and later became principal deputy assistant secretary of state for Near East and South Asian affairs. He donated part of his collection to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts prior to his death in 2002.