A Western Asiatic Banded Agate Bead Pendant, ca. 1st millennium BCE
Object No: MJ1907
With its extra-fine bands set in a soft matrix of white and maroon-brown, agate was highly prized in ancient times for its scarcity, energy, and beauty. Known as the Earth's rainbow, agate was used as a talisman to improve attention to detail, increase positivity, bring good luck, and awaken a sense of adventure. It is used to balance emotional, physical, and intellectual energy, and harmonize the positive and negative forces of the universe.
Of barrel-shaped form, no doubt this pendant had great value as an exquisite and luxurious object illustrating the refinement and genius of the ancient artisan. The process of extraction, transportation, and craftsmanship of these beautiful hard stones required hours of labor, and such jewelry was therefore reserved for social elites such as the royal family and high ranking officials.
Dimensions: Bead length: 2.8 cm (1.1 inches), set as a pendant on a modern 18-inch tarnish-resistant sterling silver chain.
Condition: Hand-carved and polished to a fine soft sheen, with finely rounded edges, a central chip to one side, minor accretions and wear that does not detract. The agate overall is intact and in very good condition overall.
Provenance: S. Brown, London private collection, acquired in the 1970s.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.