A rare Mittanian Cylinder Seal of Egyptian Blue, ca. 1500 - 1300 BCE
well carved, the scene portraying a bearded hunter wearing a short kilt with sword at his waist, bow and arrow raised as he stalks a grazing animal with a small lizard on its back, a bird behind with streamer in its beak, with standard and a large star in the field, set in a pendant of 18K gold.
Background: Cylinder seals are engraved, cylindrical objects designed to be rolled into clay to leave impressions. The engraved images are carved in reverse, so that when rolled out onto clay they face the correct direction.
Throughout much of the ancient Near Eastern world, from the end of the 4th millennium B.C.E. until the 5th century B.C.E., cylinder seals were used both as administrative tools – functioning much as a signature does on an official document today, or used to mark one’s property and to prevent tampering with sealed doors or containers – and as decorative or protective amulets – often worn on a necklace or a pin.
The use of cylinder seals developed alongside that of the cuneiform writing system, invented in Mesopotamia near the end of the 4th millennium B.C.E.; prior to this, stamp seals (designed to be pressed onto clay or other media, rather than rolled) had served similar purposes. Cuneiform was written on clay tablets, and cylinder seals were better suited than stamp seals to quickly fill empty spaces. Cylinder seals remained the most popular form of sealing until the 1st millennium B.C.E., when parchment or papyrus gradually replaced clay as the predominant writing material, and stamp seals again became more popular.
Condition: The seal is intact and in excellent condition overall, with no visible chips, cracks or breaks. The roll impression reveals a full intaglio scene. Placed in a high-karat gold setting of classical style in the early 1970's. A unique and sensational piece.
Dimensions: height: 5.5 cm
Provenance: Private Palm Beach, Fl collection, acquired from the NY trade in the early 1970's.
All photos copyright Kornbluth Photography, Maryland
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.