A rare Scythian Gold Lion, ca. 1st millennium BCE
Object No: MJ101
This small but stunning piece has a snout detailed with indented nose and mouth, face clearly detailed with eye and mane. The back curves downward and then up again at hind legs detailed with paws. Pierced along the bottom on each side in front and back.
Dimensions: Length 1.5 inches (3.8 centimeters)
Condition: More fragile at the bottom and back of the piece, gold sheet starting to curl out on the bottom, small loss on one side, the same side has a small mineral deposit. First fashioned in clay, then overlaid with gold, remains of clay still visible inside.
Provenance: Phillip Adams Collection of Ancient Art, Sydney Australia since 1970s. Phillip Andrew Hedley Adams, AO, FAHA, FRSA (b. 12 July 1939) is an Australian humanist, social commentator, broadcaster, public intellectual, and farmer. Adams has been appointed both a Member and subsequently an Officer of the Order of Australia; and received numerous awards. In 1997 the International Astronomical Union named a minor planet orbiting the sun between Mars and Jupiter after him. A National Trust poll elected him one of Australia's 100 national living treasures.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.