Dazzling iridescence, this piece was acquired in Damascus, Syria. In the form of a rectangular prism, a large, ovoid piercing in the center, the top inscribed with kufic script. Each side slightly flattened, with Smithsonian museum accession number 309230 applied in black pigment in one corner.
Reference: Hayes J. W. Roman and Pre-Roman Glass in the Royal Ontario Museum. Toronto, 1975. Susan H. Auth "Ancient Glass at the Newark Museum from the Eugene Schaefer collection" (1976).
Condition: The piece is intact with minor wear throughout and strong areas of iridescence covering most of the outside.
Dimensions: 2 x 1_1/2 x 1 inch (5 x 3.5 x 2.5 centimeters)
Published: McGovern-Huffman, S. "Magical, Mystical Roman Glass, the Lenman/Stohlman Collection of Ancient Roman Glass" (2012) pg 69.
Provenance: Forming part of the Lenman/Stohlman collection assembled by the Washington D.C. socialite Miss Isobel H. Lenman (1845 - 1931), in the early 1900’s. Loaned and accessioned by the Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., between 1916 and 1921 where it was exhibited until her death in 1931. Thereafter, the collection was returned to her heirs and sold around 1937 to Dr. Martin Stohlman, remaining with the Stohlman family until 2011. Exhibited: Workhouse Art Center, Virginia, Glass National 2016, October, 2016- January 2017.