An Exceptional Persian Bronze Phiale, Achaemenid Period ca. 550 - 330 BCE
Object No: MB1513
a handsome piece, formed from a single piece of bronze, of flat, hemispherical form with everted rim, the base with prominent central omphalos surrounded by an elegant petalled rosette bordered by concentric ring decoration.
The omphalos represented the navel of the world believed to be a large sacred hemispherical stone located at the sanctuary of Delphi. According to legend, Zeus commanded two eagles to fly from opposite sides of the world and where they met at Delphi was the center of the world. This style of bowl is often seen in Greek art for making offerings to the Gods.
Dimensions: Height: 1 3/8 inch (3.5 cm), Diameter: 6 inches (15.2 cm)
Condition: Rich black surface patina with a large area of blue-green surface patina on the underside, having traces of a gilt surface. Intact, exc. cond. A truly beautiful example with great surface quality.
Provenance: The Nourollah Elganian Collection of Ancient Art, assembled 1950-1970's. Nourollah Elganian (1915 - 2009), NYC., came to the U.S. from Iran on a business trip in the late 1940s. Nourollah, who was in the import and export business at the time, liked it so much that he decided to stay and moved his family here. He bought land in Manhattan in the 1950s and 1960s on Second and Third avenues.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.