A rare Urartian Bronze Horse Harness Frontlet, early 1st millennium BCE
Object No: MB1504
With vertical ridge in the center, the lower section with chased frieze comprising lions hunting ibex, bordered by a bud-chain line and band of incised zigzags with punched dots above, attachment holes along the lower edge and at the side, rolled suspension loop along the top edge.
Background: The kingdom of Urartu, originally a confederation of numerous tribes from Eastern Anatolia, was one of the most powerful states in the Ancient Near East during the first half of the first millennium BC, constituting one of the fiercest rivals of the Assyrian Empire. It was in the 9th century BC under Shalmaneser III (858-824) that the Urartian state developed a centralized system with several interconnected palace-fortresses placed on high rock outcrops.
Background: Horse armor was widely used in the ancient Mediterranean world and its use is well documented in the Near East and Cyprus.
Condition: Intact and in excellent condition overall, with museum quality custom mount.
Dimensions: Length: 9 inches (22.9 cm)
Provenance: Dr. Wladimir Rosenbaum, born in Minsk in 1894 and died in Ascona, Switzerland in 1984. Dr. Rosenbaum founded Galerie Casa Serodine in 1938 and closed the gallery in 1983. The building for Casa Serodine in Ascona is now a museum. Thereafter private CT collection acquired from Dr. Rosenbaum prior to 1975.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.