A Greek Terracotta Votive Goddess Pseudo-Vase, Late 4th century - early 3rd centuryBCE
Object No: GT1605
This elegantly draped female figure is frontally posed in a standing position with her hands outstretched. She wears a long, high-waisted pink chiton that drops in soft folds to her feet, and is secured with a large round brooch on her right shoulder. A himation gently drapes over her left shoulder and arm and envelopes the lower part of her body. Her sweet oval face is pale; the lips of the small mouth preserve traces of red pigment, and her round, oval eyes with arched eyebrows emphasize the timeless depth of her gaze. Atop her head is an elaborate diadem of ivy leaves and floral arrangement. She wears a necklace of rounded beads in dark red, most probably depicting carnelian.
A marvelously preserved object, the piece has much of the original rich color, characterized by strongly contrasting hues, including the delicate painting of the facial details, in keeping with the local style. A pseudo-vase, attached to the back is a purely decorative strap handle that is also brightly painted.
Background: This pseudo-vase is a product of Canosa from the end of the fourth century BCE to the beginning of the third century BCE, based on numerous statues with comparable typology, fabric, and polychromy. The figure echoes a type, inspired by the production of Greek Tanagras, with the characteristic ivy wreath, which can be traced to Dionysian ideals. Standing draped female statuettes were also utilized as attachments on large polychrome vases made in Canosa, datable between the end of the fourth century and the beginning of the third century BCE.
Dimensions: Height: 19 inches (48.25 cm)
Condition: Minor loss to fingertips of both hands, some areas of incrustation, otherwise intact with good remaining original paint.
Provenance: Private New York collection, acquired from the NY trade in 2000, previously in the private collection of Mickey Nemer, FL. acquired from the Donna Jacobs Gallery, Michigan in the 1980’s.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.