A Yortan Culture Blackware Pyxis, Western Anatolia, Troy I, 3500-2600 BCE
Object No: GP1616
This unusual black footed vessel has a detachable lid and stands on four feet. The body of the vessel is widest in the middle and narrows at the top where it reaches the neck with wide flaring rim that supports a rounded lid. The vessel has two applied handles on either side, and the handles, neck and lid are all pierced for stringing and suspension. The vessel also has a protrusion knob between the two handles and a space on the opposite side for a second. The outside of both the lid and the vessel are decorated by an incised geometric pattern. The vessel has two registers of "x's" separated by lines at the top and bottom of each register. The lid is decorated with four straight lines, two rows of "v" shaped lines, and four zigzagged lines, all stemming from the lid handle and extending to the edges of the lid.
for related example see: T.Kamil, Yortan Cemetery in the Early Bronze Age of Western Anatolia, 1982, pl.4.6.
Dimensions: Height: 3 1/2 in, width: 3 1/4 in, lid diameter: 2 1/4 in
Condition: Despite a small chip in the rim of the vessel, slight nicks to glaze and an abrasion on the body that indicates the absence of a protrusion, the vessel and lid are nicely intact and in very good condition overall.
Provenance: The William R. Crawford collection of Ancient Glass and Antiquities, acquired in Cyprus prior to 1972. This piece is accompanied by a copy of the export license issued to Mr. Crawford by Republic of Cyprus, Department of Antiquities. William R. Crawford, a retired American career diplomat and expert on the Middle East and Cyprus, was Director of Arab-Israeli Affairs at the State Department between 1959-1964, and Deputy Chief of Mission in Cyprus thereafter. In the 1970's, he was ambassador to Yemen and then to Cyprus and later became principal deputy assistant secretary of state for Near East and South Asian affairs. He donated part of his collection to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts prior to his death in 2002.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.