A Greek Geometric Amphora, Geometric Period, ca. 8th - 6th century BCE
Object No: GP007-PB
This tall wide-mouthed amphora with applied double loop handled represents the fully developed Geometric style and illustrates the profoundly significant shift of focus from abstract design to figures Decorative bands fill the area above and below the main scene of two long-legged and open winged birds stand on the shoulder. Scattered vine patterns and other shapes fill the background of these scenes. Decorative bands, consisting of concentric ring bands, and lines, in red-brown paint, fill the area above and below the two main figural scenes.
Background: The roots of Classical Greece lie in the Geometric Period from 900 to 700 BC, a time of dramatic transformation that led to the establishment of primary Greek institutions. The Greek city-state (polis) was formed, the Greek alphabet was developed, and new opportunities for trade and colonization were realized in cities founded along the coast of Asia Minor, in southern Italy, and in Sicily. Geometric Greece experienced a cultural revival of its historical past through epic poetry and the visual arts. The eighth century BC was the time of Homer, whose epic poems describe the Greek campaign against Troy (the Iliad) and the subsequent adventures of Odysseus on his return to Ithaca (the Odyssey).
Dimensions: Height: 15 1/2 inches (40 cm)
Condition: Complete and rejoined from approximately 30 original pieces in good condition overall. A very good example of early Greek pottery.
Provenance: Private NYC collection, acquired prior to 1970, and to present owner by inheritance.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.