formed from a single piece of bronze, of flat, hemispherical form with everted rim, the base with prominent central omphalos.
The omphalos represented the navel of the world believed to be a large sacred hemispherical stone located at the sanctuary of Delphi. According to legend, Zeus commanded two eagles to fly from opposite sides of the world and where they met at Delphi was the center of the world. This style of bowl is often seen in Greek art for making offerings to the Gods.
Condition: Two minor losses to the interior near the omphalos that does not detract, otherwise intact and in very good condition overall with fine green patination, particularly to the exterior.
Dimensions: Diameter: 7 3/8 inches (18.7 cm)
Provenance: Forming part of the James Stephan Snr. collection, assembled in the 1950's to early 1960's and then by descent. Dr. Stephan was a US intelligence officer who also held a degree in archaeology. He was posted in the Anatolian region of Turkey with the US government during this time, and acquired his collection from dealers and villagers throughout the region.