A large Pre-Dynastic Egyptian Flint Hand Axe, ca. 4500 - 3500 BCE
Object No: EX1409
A large and substantial example, percussion flaked from a piece of reddish-brown flint into a hand axe, with almost the entire upper portion retaining the original flint skin and remaining unaltered from the flint nodule.
Percussion flaking was used to detach small flakes of flint from the upper surface by striking the flint with a hammerstone or other implement. Old collection sticker, number 273 attached to the front.
for related example see: Payne, Joan Crowfoot, Catalogue of the Pre Dynastic Egyptian Collection in the Ashmolean Museum, (Clarendon Press, 1993), p. 162 - 166, nos. 1338 - 1384; and Needler, W. Predynastic and Archaic Egypt in the Brooklyn Museum (The Brooklyn Museum 1984), pp. 278 - 279, nos. 176 - 178.
Dimensions: Height: 8 inches (20.3 cm)
Condition: Intact and in very good condition overall. With museum-quality custom mount. A most impressive piece.
Provenance: Collection of Colonel Robert de Rustafjaell F.R.G.S., acquired prior to 1909, purchased at one of the Rustafjaell sales held in 1906, 1913, and 1915 by Gustave Maurice Heckscher who then donated to the museum founded by his father; deaccessioned by Heckscher Museum of Art, Long Island, New York, in 2012. Robert de Rustafjaell (1876-1943) was a British collector and author who worked in Egypt as a geologist and mining engineer. After World War I, de Rustafjaell moved to the United States, where he lived under the name Col. Prince Roman Orbeliani.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.