An Egyptian Wood Ptah-Sokar-Osiris, Late - Ptolemaic Period, ca 664 - 30 BCE
Object No: EW1913-PB
Standing at the back of a rectangular integral base painted with gesso, the figure of the god is shown mummiform wearing a black, blue and red over gesso tripartite wig and elaborately detailed broad collar. The face, of yellow pigment representing the gold skin of the god, is naturalistically carved and highlighted with black cosmetic lines around the eyes. An inscription runs down the center of the body and continues on the back. At the back of the head is a square opening that shows the partially hollow inside which probably originally held a roll of papyrus. The lid that originally covered the opening is now missing.
Background: A feature of ancient Egyptian religion is the process of syncretism in which originally distinct gods with similar powers were brought together to create a composite deity. In Ptah-Sokar-Osiris three gods associated with resurrection are united. Ptah is one of the oldest Egyptian deities; he was known as a god of craftsmanship and creation. Sokar was an ancient falcon god who became associated with the afterlife. Lastly, Osiris as king of the underworld, represented the power of regeneration and resurrection.
Condition: Some wear and cracking to the wood, with some expected loss of pigment and gesso throughout, small hole in top part of wig and loss around right side of face, otherwise intact.
Dimensions: Height: 21 1/2 inches (54.6 cm), Length: 12 1/4 (31 cm)
Provenance: From a private San Francisco collection, California acquired in the 1990's, thereafter the estate of Peter Borromeo, Jr Esq., acquired in 2011.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.