An Egyptian Gold and Jasper Ring Bezel, late 18th Dynasty, ca. 1479 - 1295 BCE
Object No: EJ2032
The Egyptian name for red jasper is khenmet, to delight, linking the positive aspects of red with connotations of energy, dynamism, power, and even life itself. For the Egyptians, it was the red stone par excellence, and this cowrie shaped ring bezel of exceptional red jasper, mounted in high karat gold, is indeed a delight. The stone is softly polished to a fine sheen, the setting constructed from a strip of gold foil wrapped around the sides of the stone and folded over the edges of the bezel's base so the underside could be seen. Soldered at both ends of the terminals are ring discs of gold foil, and originally a gold wire was fed through the bezel, creating a shank for wearing and allowing the bezel to swivel. Here, a modern 18k gold shank has been constructed in keeping with ancient design.
cf: Bulsink, M., Bomhof, P. J., & Kemp, A. . (2015). Egyptian gold jewellery: With a catalogue of the collection of gold objects in the Egyptian Department of the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden, cat. 127, 128 p. 172
Andrews, C. (1996). Ancient Egyptian Jewellery. London: Published for the Trustees of the British Museum by British Museum Press. p. 163-165.
Condition: The jasper inlay and original gold bezel are intact, there is a small amount of tearing to the sheet gold but overall it is in very good condition for an object of this type and age. The 18K gold shank is modern, of typical ancient design, and in excellent condition. A modern 18K gold thread with rounded knob terminals attaches the shank to the bezel. Overall, the ring presents particularly well and can be adjusted for wearing if required.
Dimensions: US ring size 8.5 (UK: R, Germany: 18 1/2)
Bezel Provenance: J. Bowman private collection, Boston, MA., acquired in Europe between 1968 - 1972, thereafter private NYC collection.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.