An Egyptian Steatite Scarab Swivel Ring, 2IP, ca. 1759-1539 BCE
Object No: EA2073
This ancient scarab was carved during a time of great unrest in Egypt's Second Intermediate Period. According to the accompanying paperwork, it was found in the Egyptian Delta, an area overrun at the time by the Hyksos invaders. Hand carved from soft steatite, the underside, carefully incised with wedjet eyes and lotus blossoms, carries messages of power and protection that perhaps reflects the political climate of the times. During this time, the scarab was also carefully set in a ring of high karat gold. As it was originally a ring, a shank of 14K gold was added in modern times in keeping with ancient design, allowing this lovely piece to be worn once more.
Condition: The scarab and bezel are intact and in very good condition overall, a modern swivel shank of 14K gold has been added so it can again be worn.
Dimensions: US ring size: 8, Scarab length: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
Provenance: Mariann Hansen, Racine, Wisconsin private collection, acquired from Blanchard's Egyptian Museum, Cairo in the 1950s. Copy of original Blanchard's documentation will be provided.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.