A royal Egyptian Steatite Fish Amulet, 18th Dynasty, reign of Thutmose III, ca. 1479-26 BCE
well carved scaraboid, carved from steatite; both sides bear an incised decoration; the upper convex side depicts the representation of a tilapia fish, the flat underside with the cartouche of Thutmose III. Fish amulets, like this nekhau, were given to young girls to wear as a charm against drowning. Some scholars suggest they functioned as “reminders of a watery environment,” to give the owner security, according to the catalog notes, “but it is much more likely that the amulet allowed the wearer to acquire the abilities of a fish, and therefore survival, if she happened to fall into the water.”
Dimensions: length 5/8 inch (2 cm)
Condition: Pierced for attachment, with wear to the attachment, the amulet is intact and in very good condition overall. With old original collection label attached but not shown in photos.
Provenance: Private collection of Dr. Charles Hazzi, (1926 - 2015), Cairo: acquired prior to 1965. Graduated from Cairo University's Kas Al Ainy School of Medicine in 1948. Once in the US, was in residency at North Shore Hospital from 1965 to 1967 and then joined NYU Medical Center. His patients spanned the spectrum from national and international political figures and entertainers to those unable to afford a doctor. Select pieces from the Hazzi collection were acquired by Sands of Time Antiquities in 2015.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.