A Chinese Sancai-Glazed Attendant, Ming Dynasty, ca 1368-1644 CE
Object No: AT1405
Green and yellow straw glazed terracotta standing figure, standing on a hexagonal, integral, pedestal base. Clad in an ankle-length garment with wide sleeves, one hand held to his chests. Articulated head is painted white, with traces of red and black.
Background: Known as one of the most influential ruling dynasties of China; for 276 years the Ming Dynasty focused on not only government and social stability but most importantly their religious practices. Described as "one of the greatest eras in human history", the Ming Dynasty was the last dynasty in China ruled by the Han Chinese. Many of the religious practices in China were seasonal, and by the Ming dynasty were at least once a month: theses rituals took on prescribed forms with carefully determined and properly performed dance, movement and sacrifices. Attendants such as this, were placed on tombs of aristocrats to provide comfort and gifts for the afterlife.
Condition: The surface with some minor glaze flaking, small nicks and wear as expected that does not detract; otherwise intact and in very good condition overall.
Dimensions: Height: 15 1/4 inches (38.73 cm)
Provenance: Ezekiel Schloss private collection, New York, acquired in the late 1960's, thereafter in a private PA collection, acquired from The Menagerie, Phila., about 2000. Political cartoonist for the New York Times, New Republic and France-Amerique, art director and later editor of a magazine for Jewish children, World Over, Ezekiel Schloss was also considered the foremost expert on Chinese tomb sculpture, publishing the two volume "Ancient Chinese Ceramic Sculpture from the Han to the T'Ang Dynasty" in 1977 and curating an exhibition of tomb sculpture for the opening of the Temple of Heaven at Disney's Epcot Center in Orlando, Fl in 1982. Focusing exclusively on Chinese art since the 1960’s, the Schloss collection contains many pieces of historical importance. In 1984, an auction of some of the pieces collected by Schloss and his wife, Lillian, brought in about $2 million at auction at an international Auction house.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.