A Pre-Columbian Gold Figural Pendant, Calima, Colombia, ca. 800 - 1000 CE
Object No: PJ2103
A fabulous cast figural gold pendant in the form of a human head, the two hands each holding a crescentic implement. Mounted as a pendant on a 14K gold chain.
Goldworking in the Calima area of Colombia reached its apogee in the so-called Yotoco period-from the 3rd to the 10th centuries CE, a time of great population expansion whereby complex and handsome attire, dominated by a great quantity of gold - diadems, nose and ear ornaments, pectorals, bracelets, and large anklets - became popular.
Condition: One ear circlet missing, with minor losses along the top and crescent implements that do not detract, intact and in very good condition overall with much of the original casting core remaining on the rear.
Dimensions: Pendant Height: 2 inches (5 cm), Overall drop length: 12 inches (30.5 cm)
Provenance: Private Florida collection, acquired in the 1960s, thereafter private NY collection, acquired from Merrin Gallery, NYC.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.