An Egyptian Faience Royal Name Bead for Shabaka, 25th Dynasty, ca. 705 - 690 BCE
Object No: EA2046
Light brown glazed composition flat-backed lentoid name-bead: longitudinally pierced. Inscribed on the rounded surface with the prenomen cartouche of Shabaka, the full text reads: "The Son of Ra, Shabaka, living eternally”.
Neferkare Shabaka (or Shabako) was the third Kushite pharaoh of the 25th Dynasty, reigning from 705 – 690 BCE, inheriting the throne from his uncle Shebitku. Shabaka's reign is significant because he consolidated the Nubian Kingdom's control over all of Egypt from Nubia down to the Delta region. It also saw an enormous amount of building work undertaken throughout Egypt, especially at the city of Thebes, which he made the capital of his kingdom. In Karnak he erected a pink granite statue of himself wearing the twin crowns of Egypt. Shabaka succeeded in preserving Egypt's independence from outside foreign powers—especially the Neo-Assyrian Empire of Sargon II. The most famous relic from Shabaka's reign is the Shabaka Stone which records several Old Kingdom documents that the king ordered preserved.
Shabaka name beads were sold at the Cairo museum in 1948. In old inventory at the Krakow, Poland records a purchase of 19 plaques, three being name beads for Shabaka, at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, Sales No. 226, Unit Price: 5 Pt. (sic). The list also states the entire batch of items came from discoveries in the Holy Lake of Karnak (Sliwa).
for related examples see:
Hall H.R., "CATALOGUE", London -1913, 2494.
Matouk F.S., "CORPUS DU SCARABEE EGYPTIEN" vol. 1° Beyrouth-1971, 199, 807; 221,860.
Fraser, G., "A CATALOGUE OF THE SCARABS BELONGING TO GEORGE FRASER" , London-1900, pl.XIII, 367.
Sliwa J. "EGYPTIAN SCARABS, SCARABOIDS AND PLAQUES FROM THE CRACOW COLLECTIONS", Universitas Iagellonica, Varsavia-Cracovia-1985, pag. 12 e nota 24; nn. 25-43.
Nfa , classical auctions Inc. Dec.11, 1991, 296.
Dimensions: Length: 2 1/2 inches (6.4 cm)
Condition: Complete with surface wear, in good condition overall.
Provenance: Ex. J.B. collection, United Kingdom, acquired between 1970 - 2012, with old inventory labels (073, 739) on the back.
Sands of Time provides a lifetime, unconditional guarantee of authenticity and provenance. Every artifact purchased from us is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, stating culture, provenance and age. Furthermore, we conduct due diligence to ensure the item, to the best of our knowledge, has not been illegally obtained from an excavation, architectural monument, public institution or private property. Wherever possible, reference is made to existing collections or publications.
Sands of Time Antiquities are proud to uphold the following Code of Conduct:
- We undertake to make, to the best of our ability, all purchases in good faith.
- We undertake not to purchase or sell objects until we have established, to the best of our ability, that such objects were not stolen from excavations, architectural monuments, public institutions or private property.
- We will not dismember and sell separately parts of one complete object.
- We undertake to the best of ability to keep objects together that were originally meant to be kept together.
- As appropriate we will keep photographic records of objects prior to repair and restoration, to be honest and open by describing in writing the amount of repair and restoration undertaken to a prospective purchaser.
- To the best of our ability, we guarantee authenticity and provenance of all objects offered for sale.
- Deposit: A deposit of 15% of the total price is required upon purchase.
- Checkout: Order through our website and select the "layaway" option at checkout.
- Flexibility: You are not restricted to a set monthly payment; pay what you wish when you wish, however your balance must be paid within six months of the order date or you risk forfeiture.
- Title: Property title remains with Sands of Time Antiquities, Inc. until payment is made in full.
- Shipment: Once payment is complete, we will ship your order by the next business day.
Should you cancel your layaway purchase, a 15% restocking-fee will apply. If you exchange or trade-up the objet purchased while it is on layaway, the restocking fee for the original purchase will not apply. If you would like to take advantage of our layaway system or would like to discuss an alternative option that better suits your budget, please contact us via e-mail or call 1-202-342-0518.